How do I handle and store my agvet chemicals?
Once you have registered your unwanted agvet chemicals with ChemClear you will need to continue to store these chemicals in a secure and safe location awaiting delivery to our retrieval team.
All chemicals that have been booked for disposal through ChemClear remain in the custody of the owner. The storage and management of these chemicals also remain the owner’s responsibility until they are handed over to the ChemClear retrieval team.
Collections are scheduled across local government areas on a 2-3 year cycle, or when demand in registrations supports a full state or smaller regional collection.
It is important throughout the storage phase to be aware of the compatibility of the chemicals you are storing.
The Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods contains some excellent charts on the incompatibility of dangerous goods.
As a rule, any unknown chemical should be treated as if it were incompatible with every other chemical in storage. This chemical container can be placed into an oversize container and separated from other chemcials.
Care should be taken with all flammable products; never use a torch or match to read the labels on chemical containers.
To get the most suitable conditions for storage, users should ensure that the site:
- is cleared of vegetation and rubbish to minimise the risk of fire
- is separated from people and water courses and above flood height.
- has good security procedures to prevent any unauthorised access
- has a good access point and an easy exit
- has easy access to emergency equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers)
- has adequate space for racks and separation of compatible chemicals
- is protected from direct sunlight
- has appropriate shelving to minimise breakages
- has a bund (a small wall around chemicals) to contain potential spills
- is adequately supplied with water for washing
- is separate from office or other work areas
- is constructed from non-combustible materials
- has good natural ventilation
- is equipped with flameproof electrical equipment.
For more handling and storage tips download our fact sheet: ChemClear Handling and Storage.